231 Front Street, Lahaina, HI 96761 [email protected] 808.123.4567

Tag: 上海419论坛香草社区

Samsung Heavy Slashes 2016 Operating Loss

first_imgzoom The South Korean shipbuilder Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) has managed to reduce its operating loss by around 90 percent due to a stabilization in shipbuilding and offshore construction, the company said in a stock exchange filing.SHI ended the year with an operating loss of KRW 147.2 million (USD 126,200), against an operating loss of KRW 1.5 billion (USD 1.28 million) recorded a year earlier.The data provided in the filing shows that the shipbuilder also cut its net loss by some KRW 1 billion, which represents an improvement of 88.5 percent.At the end of 2016 the conglomerate’s net loss stood at KRW 138.8 million, compared to a net loss of KRW 1.2 billion seen in the full year 2015.SHI’s revenues improved to KRW 10.4 billion from KRW 9.7 billion year-on-year, rising by 7.2 percent.Due to forecasts that the shipbuilding industry could slightly improve during 2017, the shipbuilder decided to raise its orderbook goal to USD 6 billion, from last year’s USD 5.3 billion target, after winning a major order to build a large offshore platform at the beginning of the year.World Maritime News Stafflast_img read more

Crown wont appeal case of Quebec man who killed Alzheimersstricken wife

first_imgMONTREAL — The Crown says it won’t be appealing a sentence handed down last month to a Quebec man who killed his Alzheimer’s-stricken wife in 2017.Quebec’s director of criminal and penal prosecutions says in a brief statement today it won’t seek a stiffer sentence for Michel Cadotte.Cadotte, 58, was sentenced May 28 to two years less a day in jail, three years of probation and 240 hours of community service.A jury found Cadotte guilty of manslaughter on Feb. 23 for the suffocation death of his wife of 19 years in her long-term care bed.Jocelyne Lizotte, 60, was in the late stages of Alzheimer’s disease and was unable to speak or care for herself.The Crown had sought an eight-year prison term, citing the vulnerability of the victim and the violent nature of her death, while the defence had recommended a sentence of between six and 12 months.Neither the Crown nor the defence was able to find any jurisprudence that could guide the judge on sentencing.Crown spokesman Jean Pascal Boucher says in a statement that following a rigorous examination of Quebec Superior Court Justice Helene Di Salvo’s decision, the decision was made not to appeal.Boucher says that Lizotte’s family was advised of the decision.The Canadian Presslast_img read more

SUNDANCE COFOUNDER STERLING VAN WAGENEN SENTENCED TO 6 YEARS TO LIFE IN

first_img Twitter Advertisement “You did the right thing and you’re not responsible for anything that happened and anything that will happen,” said Griffin during the hearing south of Salt Lake City. “You’re a brave young lady.”The sister of the victim, whose name The Associated Press is withholding because she is a victim of sexual abuse, read a letter on her sister’s behalf blasting Van Wagenen for lying and being a coward.“I strongly believe the only thing you were actually torn up about is the fact that you got caught,” the sister said.Apology ‘meaningless’Van Wagenen declined to apologize when he spoke to the victim and her family.“It’s clear that any kind of apology I can make is meaningless at this point,” Van Wagenen said. “So I am not even going to attempt one. I want you all to know I feel the consequences of what I’ve done. I feel them deeply.”He pleaded guilty earlier this year to two counts of sexual abuse of a child, both involving the same victim, as part of a plea deal.Van Wagenen co-founded a Utah film festival with Robert Redford that came to be known as Sundance Film Festival. He was the Sundance Institute’s founding executive director, but hasn’t been with the organization for more than 20 years.He was a producer on the 1985 film The Trip to Bountiful, a story of an elderly woman who longs to return to her home. The film earned the late actress Geraldine Page an Academy Award.He has also worked over the years as a film instructor at the University of Utah and Brigham Young University and as a director and producer for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on a variety of projects, including temple videos.Van Wagenen resigned from his part-time instructor position at the University of Utah’s film and media arts department on Feb. 15, university spokesperson Chris Nelson said.Van Wagenen’s resignation came after a man accused Van Wagenen of molesting him as a boy in 1993. No charges were filed in that case, which was made public by a website that serves as a watchdog for The Church of Jesus of Latter-day Saints, widely known as the Mormon church.Van Wagenen thanked that man, who was in court Tuesday, saying it was a “blessing” that he brought “this all to light.” Advertisement Login/Register With: Advertisementcenter_img LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Sterling Van Wagenen, left, who helped found the Sundance Film Festival, was sentenced on Tuesday for sexually touching a young girl on two different occasions between 2013 and 2015. (Rick Egan/The Salt Lake Tribune/Associated Press) Facebook A filmmaker who co-founded the Sundance Film Festival and produced a movie whose lead actress won an Oscar in the mid-1980s was sentenced Tuesday to at least six years in prison after pleading guilty to sexual abuse of a child.The judge who delivered the sentence of six years to life said that he hopes the parole board will keep 72-year-old Sterling Van Wagenen in prison longer than the minimum.Judge Robert Griffin commended the young victim for reporting what happened. Prosecutors say Van Wagenen touched a young girl on two occasions between 2013 and 2015.last_img read more

Greg Reid Exiled From FSU Heading To Valdosta State

Exiled from Florida State because of multiple off-the-field issues, cornerback Greg Reid looks like he will land at Valdosta State for his final year of college football.ESPN reports that Reid sorted through his options and is in the process of enrolling at the school located in middle Georgia.Reid was dismissed from FSU  for a violation of team rules — and it was not his first offense. As a three-year starter and a top special teams player, Reid had to be a malcontent for coach Jimbo Fisher to kick him off the team. But to maintain any credibility within his team, Fisher had little recourse, for Reid found himself in trouble several times during his Seminole career.Most recently, Reid was arrested a few weeks ago and charged with driving with a suspended license, a seat belt violation and misdemeanor possession of marijuana, according to the Lowndes County (Ga.) sheriff’s office. Reid told police he had no knowledge of the marijuana found in his car.Last fall, Reid was on perjury charges for lying to police about the identity of a man who fled the scene of a traffic stop on a scooter. That charge was later dropped. However, he was suspended last year for an undisclosed violation of team rules.Last season, Reid played in 11 games and started nine. He made 32 tackles and had two interceptions, along with 563 kick return yards. He moved into second place in school history with 89 career returns and 1,117 return yards and was named one of three most valuable players on special teams at Florida State’s annual banquet.Last Tuesday night in Lake Park, Ga., Reid was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and driving with a suspended license.For Fisher, that was it. Now Reid apparently has found a new school. But for how long? read more

Magic Johnson Donates 10 Million to Chicago Program That

In Michael Jordan’s city, Magic Johnson has donated $10 million to bolster a summer jobs program that benefits troubled Black youths in Chicago, which has been ravaged by street violence.Johnson joined Mark and Kimbra Walter of the Inner City Youth Empowerment in a collaboration that will help triple the reach of the One Chicago Summer Plus program.Its primary focus is to guide youths ages 16 to 19 away from potential troubles that come on the streets of inner-city Chicago.“We are proud to partner on an initiative that has proven to change the trajectory of at-risk kids’ lives,” Johnson said in a press release. “Providing disadvantaged kids with alternatives is a step in the right direction toward helping them reach their full potential and curb violence in our neighborhoods.”Johnson’s contribution highlights the former NBA great’s philanthropic work since retiring from professional basketball. He’s been a benchmark for other athletes, like Jordan, to study after their careers are completed.Johnson’s business enterprises are extensive, and most of them have elements of providing jobs, upward mobility and upgraded services for African-Americans.Hardly anyone talks about Johnson having contracted HIV in 1991, setting in motion the end of one of the sport’s great careers. Since then, Johnson has been recognized as an advocate for the disease and an entrepreneur with an amazing portfolio. He’s also part of a group that owns the Los Angeles Dodgers and has a net worth estimated at $500 million, according to celebritynetworth.com.He was beloved as a player because of the infectious, child-like joy in which he performed but should be admired for the non-stop work he does in Black communities. In the case of Chicago, Johnson has no real connection—he’s from Lansing, Mich. and has lived in Los Angeles ever since he was drafted No. 1 by the Lakers in 1979.The only connection is that Johnson identified a dire need and did something to help. Admirable.This program in Chicago that served 1,000 teenagers will serve 3,000 now. The program includes a 25-hour-a-week summer job, a mentor and a behavioral therapy and social-skills building component.The One Chicago Summer Plus program outlines criteria for students, as it targets those who have a past with the juvenile justice system and those who have missed six to eight weeks of school.The program spends roughly $2,900 per student, which equates to nearly triple the amount that is traditionally spent on summer job programs.The city of Chicago is also contributing an additional $6 million to the program, with some of the funds going toward training and supporting 500 mentors so that the increase in students into the program does not compromise the quality and personal contact participants receive.“The city of Chicago, with the support of our community and business partners, remains committed to reducing violence in our city,” Mayor Rahm Emanuel said in Black Enterprise. “Through the generous grant, more youth will stay safe, active and engaged this summer while getting the skills and on-the-job training necessary for a bright future.”High unemployment is directly linked to higher incarceration rates. Studies indicate 92 percent of Black males between the ages of 16-19 in Chicago are unemployed, which impacts the city’s high crime and incarceration rates. All this illuminates how important programs like this are—and how committed someone like Magic Johnson is. read more

Crime not Political Communities must help

first_img New Gun Crimes unit under construction, says TCI Police Commissioner Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Editorial: Stop Likin’ Man! Related Items:#magneticmedianews, #SeeSomethingSaySomething Car-jacking, armed robberies, TCI Police hands full with new gun crimes Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, February 7, 2017 – The TCI Government came in late but did last night address the crime reports from the weekend which included armed robbery, house break-ins and the shooting of a former Government leader.Acting Premier, Sean Astwood said police patrols have been beefed up, that residents now more than ever must establish crime watch in their communities and reminded that crime is not political.  Minister Astwood, who heads Border Control and is on deck while Premier Sharlene Robinson is at meetings in London with UK Foreign Minister, Baroness Anelay divulged that in a matter of weeks, the PDM’s 12 point plan to curb crime will be activated.   “We have already begun to make representation in the National Security Council and will hold meetings for a pointed dialogue as promised (through a Task Force) in the Throne Speech.” A task force is what at least one resident told Magnetic Media she wants to see, following that comment from Edith Skippings, others wrote to say they believe outside forces need to come in – from Jamaica, from the United States, from Scotland Yard in the UK and from The Bahamas.Edith Skippings believes Police are too cozy with the residents; outsiders need to do the job.  “I think maybe we need to reach out to the Bahamas and recruit a few Police Officers from there for the time being to come over and help and clean up this situation, to put this situation under control, and show the people that are causing all this crime and sadness here in the Turks and Caicos that we mean business.” Minister Astwood in that media statement points out ways the Community can help; Parents ensuring your children are on curfews and its back to that popular slogan, if you ‘see something, say something’… information to Police is vital in solving crime and getting criminals off the streets.#MagneticMediaNews #SeeSomethingSaySomething Recommended for youlast_img read more

FOLIOs 2010 Consumer Magazine CEO Survey

last_img

Gabriel Snyder Leaving The Wire for Mobile Startup

last_img

Wilmington Preschool Kindergarten Registration Details Announced

last_img

McDonalds to drop antibiotics in chicken supply

last_img