Thierry Henry is set to line up against Arsenal for the New York Red Bulls on Saturday but, before then, he joined his former teammates for a basketball session. Take a bow, Gedion Zelalem.
Thierry Henry is set to line up against Arsenal for the New York Red Bulls on Saturday but, before then, he joined his former teammates for a basketball session. Take a bow, Gedion Zelalem.
A man who stole €102,000 from the company he worked for to give to men he met in online chat rooms has been jailed for one year.Billy Mooney took sums ranging from €2,000 to €19,800 over a two year period from The Cope stores in Co Donegal between dates on 2014 and 2016. The 52-year-old had pleaded guilty to 18 charges of fraud and one of false accounting at Letterkenny Circuit Court.Mooney stole the cash in a complex fraud at the company’s Annagry outlet in West Donegal.But amazingly Gardai told the court that they did not believe the accused man spent a cent of the money on himself.Instead he wired the money by Western Union Transfer to men he met online who claimed they had lost their jobs and whose families had become ill.However, management at the company, known officially as the Templecrone Cooperative Agricultural Society Ltd (The Cope), were alerted to the fraud when Mooney sent texts to another employee.Mooney, of St Peter’s Terrace, Dungloe told the other employee that he was in trouble having become caught up in a scam and was in debt to the tune of up to €80,000 and was having to bother the money to cover himself.Detective Garda John Gallagher, from Milford Garda Station, investigated the fraud at the store which has around 110 employees.He said CEO of the company, Mark Sharkey, had contacted Gardai believing there had been a major fraud at the outlet.Garda Gallagher explained how Mooney took the money which was due to be deposited into an ATM machine at the Annagry branch of The Cope where he was located.However, through a series of cover-ups, Mooney was able to extract various sums of money but made it appear as if they were still on the company books.The court heard how Mooney stole various lump sums of money on separate occasions between July 1st, 2014 and January 1st, 2016 of between €2,000 and €19,800.In a victim impact statement, company boss Mark Sharkey said the theft had put the company under severe pressure and how they had struggled to survive.He said a number of key employees had left the company because of the stress and the shock of the ongoing situation at the company and that they also had to spend €16,000 to have a forensic accountant examine their accounts.He said that during and since the theft, Mooney had never apologised to the company or his fellow workers and that he was out sick for a number of months after the theft came to light.Barrister for the accused, Mr John McLaughlin said that he got involved in these chatrooms with other men and that in his mind he was in a romantic relationship.“He was so caught up in this scam that it overrode everything else in his mind.“When interviewed he used phrases like he was ‘borrowing money’. Not to excuse what he did but it was his twisted belief he was borrowing and not stealing.“There are no suggestions that he retained these monies himself,” he said.Detective Garda John Gallagher replied, “I don’t believe that he has gained financially.”However, the court was told that none of the missing money has since been paid back to the company.Passing sentence Judge John Aylmer said the fraud had come while the company was experiencing difficult trading circumstances and that it went on for a long time.He said Mooney had worked at The Cope for almost 20 years and had been a trusted employee and there had been a serious breach of that trust.However, he added that Detective Gallagher gave evidence that Mooney did not benefit financially from the scam.He added that he accep[ted that Mooney was remorseful and ashamed of his actions and that he came to court with no previous convictions.“He was a vulnerable person and a soft target for these scams,” said Judge Aylmer.He placed the charges in the mid-range of such offences and said each charge merited a sentence of four years.However, because of his early plea and his previous good record, he would reduce that sentence to three years in prison.Because Mooney was a first time offender, Judge Aylmer had to consider if he could suspend the entire sentence.However, he said he took these offenses were of such seriousness that he had to impose some custodial senetnce and he suspended the final two years of the three year sentence meaning Mooney will serve one year in jail.Man jailed after stealing €102,000 from The Cope was last modified: December 14th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Billy MooneycourtdonegalSentenceTHE COPE
The BEO extravaganza booked for Letterkenny’s RCC on Oct 20 has run into difficulties.The event has a typical crowd of up to 200 transition year students from all over Donegal.The event is designed to bring students together for a workshops and music events which are all promoted using “an cupla focal”. On this occasion the event committee have booked 410 students to the event to find out late last week that the capacity of the RCC is 250.Oonagh Ni Chleirigh a member of the committee that organized BEO for this summers Errigal Arts Festival stated that it was great to see the increase in the BEO event.Asked what was responsible for the sudden increase in numbers, Oonagh suggested that it was down to a combination of increased TY class sizes, the positive feedback from the summer Gigs and the reviews that headliners Le Galaxie got from their Electric Picnic slot last Saturday. It seems they were one of the outstanding acts of the weekend.BEO are now looking for help to accommodate the large crowd on the afternoon of Thursday October 20th. Anyone with possible suggestions can contact organizers at email@example.com. EndsBEO SENDS OUT AN SOS FOR NEW VENUE! was last modified: September 19th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
THE GARDA Traffic Corps in Donegal has launched a crackdown on motorists in the county who are not up to date with tax, insurance and NCT certificates.A number of checkpoints in recent days has seen the detection of numerous offences.The latest checkpoint was this morning at Burt. Gardai stopped and checked hundreds of vehicles travelling on the main road between Letterkenny and Derry.In recent days similar checkpoints have sprung up on the Letterkenny to Glenties road as well as outside Donegal Town and Ballybofey.Another check was carried out on the road between Gaoth Dobhair and Dunlewey.GoSafe speed detection vans are also operating across the county today. © 2012 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law. Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldaily GARDA TRAFFIC CORPS BLITZ ON TAX-DODGING MOTORISTS was last modified: March 24th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalDonegal Newsdonegaldaily.comGARDA TRAFFIC CORPS BLITZ ON TAX-DODGING MOTORISTS
The view at 12,000ft above Queenstown is simply stunning for passengers aboard our Air New Zealand flight.But in the cockpit, the pilots see a very different picture. They are about to land on a tiny runway nestled between treacherous mountains.Heads are down scanning an array of screens that weave computer wizardry as the plane’s navigation system uses global positioning satellites to pinpoint the dangers that have claimed so many lives in the past or forced planes to divert.Dubbed RNP (required navigation performance) and introduced in the late 1990s, the system allows pilots to fly in blinding cloud, rain and snow around mountains right to the runway and saves costly diversions. And its accuracy? A few metres.Queenstown is known as one of the world’s most difficult and challenging airports for landing and take-off.Air New Zealand’s Airbus A320 fleet manager Captain Hugh Pearce says RNP is complex and needs 25 different navigation systems and backups to work correctly. A single diversion can cost as much as $30,000, making the value of RNP compelling.But it’s not just safe landings in airports such as Queenstown that are driving airlines’ push for RNP. Because of its high-precision capability, RNP can save airlines millions of dollars in fuel costs by using much shorter — and mostly curved — approaches to airports.RNP is just one of many new technologies that have dramatically improved airline safety, resulting in the lowest number of accidents since 1945. Last year, there were only 475 deaths from 23 accidents while the industry carried 2.9 billion passengers.Compared with traditional cockpits, the improvements in computerised cockpits are significant with the elimination of up to 600 dials and gauges. And procedures are cut. If an engine has a fire warning, a pilot now needs to take four actions instead of 15.Two of the greatest advances in the cockpit are the Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) and the Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System (EGPWS).TCAS provides pilots with collision protection if there is a failure by air traffic controllers. It tracks all planes by picking up their identity transmission and warns of an impending collision and what action is required. It has saved thousands of lives.EGPWS shows pilots the world’s terrain database on their computer screens and colour-codes mountains relative to the plane’s altitude. And the gadgetry doesn’t end there. There is a 3-D weather radar that detects turbulence and an auto-land system that has an accuracy of just a metre.Another critical aspect of keeping passengers safe is testing the planes, an extremely sophisticated and expensive process.When Boeing built the 365-seat 777, it had to prove that the 777 structure could carry the maximum design load in the most extreme conditions over the life of the plane. Enter the ultimate torture chamber.Applying the torture were 96 hydraulic actuators which punished the 777 in 120,000 simulated flights — double its expected life span. The most dramatic testing was done on the wing. After simulating two lifetimes of testing, engineers bent the wing upwards 7.31m — equal to a load of 120,000kg — before it fractured.But testing wasn’t always that sophisticated. In 1932 the Douglas Aircraft Company used a steamroller to test the structural integrity of the DC-1 (DC-3) wing.And there are a host of operational tests. One of the most impressive is the velocity minimum unstick test which determines the plane’s minimum lift-off speed. The test pilot tries to get the plane to take off at the normal speed, which results in the plane “sitting” on its tail before lifting off.Another torturous test is rejected take-off. The 777 was loaded to its maximum take-off weight and brought up to take-off speed. Without using reverse thrust, with worn brakes the pilot must bring it to a stop using brakes only. After stopping, the brakes became so hot they glowed red. However, no action can be taken for five minutes, representing the time taken to get emergency vehicles to the plane.Another test is the cold soak, where the plane is left for three days in a blizzard before start-up.And the engines that power these giants of the air have to endure even worse. General Electric’s GE90 — the world’s largest engine that develops 76,000hp — had to soak up 4.5 tonnes of water and 1.5 tonnes of ice a minute, along with an assortment of dead birds.But testing is just one aspect. Maintaining a plane is extremely expensive. Airbus A380 tyres cost $92,000 each and must be changed about every six months. The A380 has 32 of them.An A380 windscreen-wiper blade will set an airline back $1000 and a complete overhaul every five years lasts two months, takes 40,000 man hours and can cost more than $6 million.The improvements in cockpits are significant with the elimination of up to 600 dials and gauges.
A possible slowdown in the US economy is unlikely to hit the growth momentum for Indian IT services companies, say analysts, because their clients in the largest market would outsource more digital technology-led services that they have built over the past couple of years by also hiring local workforce in the US. Read it at Economic Times Related Items
View comments San Sebastian immediately took control of the match building a 10-point lead, 31-20, at the end of the first quarter en route to the rout.Alfren Gayosa gave San Sebastian its biggest lead of the game at 88-64 going all the way to the rim with 3:30 left in the fourth.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“This game was all about team effort,” said Golden Stags head coach Egay Macaraya. “We had 21 assists, we had good looks from the three-point line, and the rebounds were there.”“The whole team wanted to win today and they showed heart, they showed we’re still here.” Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. The Golden Stags powered through the Cardinals futile inside defense, scoring 48 points in the paint while holding Mapua to just eight in the other end.San Sebastian also scored on 21 layups while allowing Mapua to only one.Jayson David ran rampant with 24 points to lead the Golden Stags while Gayosa and Alvin Capobres had 18 and 17 points, respectively.Christian Bunag put up a 13-point, 16-rebound double-double for Mapua, which is at a miserable 3-14 card.ADVERTISEMENT Read Next LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Jordan says NBA superteams will create 28 ‘garbage’ teams—report Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netSan Sebastian pushed its bid for the fourth spot in the NCAA Season 93 men’s basketball after pulling down Mapua, 97-70, Friday at Filoil Flying V Centre.The fifth-seeded Golden Stags stopped their three-game losing streak and improved to 8-9, tied with another Final Four-seeking team in Arellano. Both teams are half a game behind the no. 4 Letran.ADVERTISEMENT ‘Pamana’: Mausoleum caretaker cherishes humble work for family PLAY LIST 03:06‘Pamana’: Mausoleum caretaker cherishes humble work for family00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients LATEST STORIES BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight MOST READ
Surfers who visited www.indiatoday.in have a common consensus that corruption in CWG extends far beyond the Organising Committee (OC). They harbour the view that this is not merely corruption but corruption with impunity. There is no doubt about it, according to V K Ram, a surfer. He says: “The OC alone could not have gobbled up the entire amount siphoned off from the 70,000 crores. Certainly the very higher-ups would have had a very higher share.” He further questions, “And why did Suresh Kalmadi (chairman, OC, CWG) walk out of the interview? Was he scared, or was he by nature ill-mannered or else, arrogant?” Similarly, Ajmal Kasab’s (involved in Mumbai attacks) spat on the camera was like a spat on the entire nation. Else, how will one explain the exorbitant amount of Rs 1,16,000 for rental of a 2 ton AC. “Do they think the citizens are gullible, questions Jayaraj, another surfer, adding, “Without the support of higher-ups, the OC would not have embarked confidently on such a huge corruption.”There are some who feel that Kalmadi must have suddenly left fearing expose not only about his own involvement in the inflated expenditure for CGW, but for the fear of blurting out the real beneficiaries of the gala spending. As R Aggarwala, another surfer puts it: “Yes, the corruption in CWG extends far beyond the OC, at least 20 times more than what Kalmadi controlled, apart from the inefficiency and insensivity shown by Sheila Dikshit and others, in describing the injuries sustained by 23 labourers, when the footbridge failed.” Juxtaposed to this, there are others who feel that there is no reason as to why a media trial should be held when a regular enquiry and audit has been ordered to find out the truth. V K Das, a surfer, says: “The proceedings should be in an organised and a legal manner. In three months’ time, the truth will come out and let us be patient till then.”advertisement
Ace shooter Gagan Narang, who won four gold medals at last month’s Commonwealth Games, will be India’s flag-bearer at the opening ceremony of the 16th Asian Games in Guangzhou, China on November 12.It was announced by Indian Olympic Association president Suresh Kalmadi in New Delhi on Tuesday.”We chose Gagan not only because he emerged India’s best athlete in the Commonwealth Games with four gold medals but also because he has been one of the most consistent performers for India in the past few years,” Kalmadi said of the 27-year-old rifle shooter, who first shot into limelight in the Afro-Asian Games in Hyderabad.”Gagan won four gold medals in the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne. In 2008, he won the 10m air rifle gold in the World Cup finals and earlier this year, claimed bronze in the World championship. He is also ranked world No 4 in the 10m air rifle event,” Kalmadi added.The IOA chief said Gagan was handpicked for the honour from among a number of champions.”It is a pleasure to have such choice and strengthens our belief that Olympic sport in India is progressing in the right direction,” Kalmadi said.The Asian Games will be held in the Guangzhou from November 12-27.With inputs from PTI